100 Supreme Court Drive
Mineola, New York 11501
Nassau and Queens were a single county until the turn of the Twentieth Century, but split when New York City consolidated in 1898. Nassau officially became its own County on January 1, 1899, and the cornerstone of the first Nassau County Courthouse was laid by Theodore Roosevelt, a resident of Oyster Bay, in July 1900. After extensive renovations, this first courthouse was renamed the Theodore Roosevelt Executive and Legislative Building in 2008, and is now the home of the County legislature.
The Roosevelt Courthouse was the home of the Nassau County Supreme Court from 1900 through 1940. In 1940, a larger building was erected, and held both the Supreme Court and the County Court (which hears cases under $25,000). In 1965, the Supreme Court received a new building, its current home, located at 100 Supreme Court drive.
By Bette S. Weidman, Linda B. Martin
LI Biz Blog, Nassau Justices Honored With Portraits
Richard Weir, NY Daily News, Thomas Suozzi praises renovated Nassau County Courthouse (2/28/2008).
Newsday, Time Capsul Unearthed, (1999)
NY Historical Society, Nassau County Supreme Court;
NY Times, THE GOVERNOR AT MINEOLA.; He Lays the Cornerstone of the New Court House and Talks of Honesty in Public Life. (July 14, 1900).